Monday 19 November 2012

Adding Textures


These textures have been created tileable in Adobe Photoshop and saved as targa files in order to be able to apply textures in 3DS MAX and then import them in UDK.







Here I applied textures onto the assets that I created in 3DS MAX, the laminate wooden flooring and the wall texture was added. 


Here I added texture to the exterior of the house, brick texture and the glossy door and gold metallic frames were created. 


The carpet texture for the staircase was further added and glossy shiny paint texture for the banister. 


This was the texture test of my 3D corridor exported into Unity. The material IDS when exported were not visible only on some objects. Therefore I had to reassign textures into Unity,  however it seemed to be changing other textures in the scene. So I then attempted this in UDK and had a similar problem. 

In UDK I exported my 3DS MAX file as a FBX and also a ASE to see which worked out better. The FBX file however uploaded all my objects separately some with texture others without. Here is a screenshot of how my textures looked like in UDK. All my textures were saved as a targa file which is compatible with UDK. 


Screenshot of stairs with texture in UDK.



These screenshots above show that my textures did not import correctly even though I saved them as a targa file. The reason was due to my texture files being too big and some were not in powers of 2 image size. Also when I imported it as a FBX file I forgot to click on embed media which would have imported my textures along with it.



Here is a screenshot of the FBX file imported into UDK with the embed media ticked. However some of the textures were still missing and were assigned in the wrong places. So I had to import the textures in individually and create new materials and re-asign them. 


Here is a screenshot of what I got to so far in UDK. This still needs a lot of work and is incomplete as I need to rebuild the lighting in the scene to make the textures look more realistic. Further I will have to re-import the mesh into the scene as some polygons need to be flipped and some of them need to be 2 sided materials. 





No comments:

Post a Comment